Re: [OM] Phones

Subject: Re: [OM] Phones
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 10:23:28 -0700
> From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> It's ridiculous how dependent I am on this phone.  I can't do anything
> without it!!

Henry Ford is rumoured to have said, "If you find an employee indispensable,
fire him immediately."

I get along just fine without a smart phone. Part of that is because I know I'm
a tech-addict, and I don't need any other time-suckage in my life. I know I'd
get hooked.

But another, bigger part of it is that, without the addiction, I can see
better. I feel like the kid in the movie Sixth Sense: "I see dead people!"
They're like zombies, walking along while looking at their tiny screens,
running into lamp posts and other Smart Phone Zombies.

Then there's the "twitchers," who are like a junkie needing a fix. You see them
in places where phones are not allowed, like concerts, lectures, dinner tables,
etc. They have this vacant look in their eyes, like they've lost the ability to
breathe without their little pseudo-tamaguchi. You see them grab at their pant
pocket, expecting the fix to be there, but it isn't.

And I really just don't want to be that "in touch." When I go to the
greenhouse, or I'm milking goats, or walking in the forest, I don't want my
reverie interrupted by a "bling!" sound, just because some "friend" took a
photo of what they're having for supper.

When quitting smoking, they say the first three days are the worst. C'mon, you
can make it! :-)

Jan