Re: [OM] Just another day

Subject: Re: [OM] Just another day
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 09:13:25 -0700
> From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> With every school shooting, home schooling looks like a more attractive
> option.

Have you heard much about Trump's education secretary? Her stated goal is to
completely privatize the education system — no more public schools.

Thank goodness she's basically incompetent, but she was behind gutting
Michigan's public school system, where there is now a system of "vouchers," and
anyone can take their tax dollars out of public schools to attend private ones.

What really burns me is that people still treat for-profit schools as though
they are deserving of their charity. Triumph Academy has some 100 schools
throughout the midwest, and they declared shareholder dividends of about 5%. My
father goes over and volunteers three days a week. They hold bake sales for
school activities. Their non-union teachers' combined pay and benefits are
nearly 20% less than unionized public school teachers were getting.

I'm not some sort of bleeding-heart "let's take care of everyone, even if they
won't take care of themselves" type. But I strongly object to the current trend
of privatizing profits and publicizing expenses. Talk about a wealth-transfer
scheme! Anyone who is concerned about the poor getting more and more of rich
people's money hasn't been paying attention.

Anyway, back to photography: just scored a Sigma 4.5mm that will do a true
circular fisheye on micro 4/3rds. But I'm busy privatizing profits and
externalizing expenses, so I had it shipped to my step-daughter's house in
Washington, so I can't post any photos yet. :-)

Jan