Re: [OM] Meanwhile in sunny and balmy Alaska

Subject: Re: [OM] Meanwhile in sunny and balmy Alaska
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:24:21 -0800
> What features of Efex pro do you like?  Never even on my radar.

Obviously, Dynamic Skin Softener. That got a workout. :)
Not used in this example, but I use the Pro Contrast on a lot of
images. Not so much on Olympus images, but definitely on the 6D
images. That may change a bit now that Adobe Raw has been improved.

The primary adjustments (in order) to the picture include:
1. Set Raw converter to Adobe Vivid (or Color).
2. Minimally fix WB to get the skin tones happy.
3. Cropping, Vertical and Aspect adjustments.
4. Exposure, highlight and shadow recovery.
5. Set sharpness to 0, minimal noise reduction, fix chromatic aberrations.
6. Spot edit zits, blemishes, logos, etc.
7. Export to CEP using ProPhoto, perform dynamic skin softening..
(usually two filters--one for higher values, one for shadows). Save.
8. (the rest is performed on the saved CEP file)
9. Adjust white-balance to warm the image to get the skin tones and
clothes where you want it to be.
10. Adjust exposure controls to get the subject right. May add clarity
to help separate subject from background.
11. Add oval-shaped radial filter. Use aggressive warming adjustments
to the WB and pull exposure some and/or add Dehaze. Adjust the oval
and the feather so there is no obvious halo around the subject.
12. Either add another radial filter for additional vignetting or
using the image vignetting control to pull the eyes to the subject.
13. Crank up the sharpening using a sub-1 radius.
14. Export.

Obviously, it helps to have a good looking subject. This one is the
best I could find on my walk. (6D tripod mounted, controlled with the
Canon Camera Connect Android App). I set the camera up on the tripod,
framed and focused on a spot (using a leaf, stick or rock as my guide
of where to stand), connected with the WiFi function and took my
selfie. Easy as that.

Several side-notes:

1. Keep the ISO low with the 6D. Colors go wonky or disappear on the
Canons. The 4/3 cameras will keep my blue eyes blue at almost any ISO,
but the 6D only sees the blue eyes at or near base-ISO. On-camera
fill-flash (turned very low) helps the blue eyes, but can cause other
issues. Clothes and skin can get reflective and also mismatch the
color of the rest of the scene.

2. Even with the Adobe upgrade, Canon skintones will pick up a purple
tint in the shadows. Unfortunately, it's not linear. You'll have nice
skin color down to Zone-III and then it just falls over the edge.
Similar to the E-3, but the E-3 usually goes gray. It's hard to get a
nice light to dark gradient without the shadow side to go off-pallet.
This is an area that the E-1 remains unmatched.

3. When using Dynamic Skin Softener, use two filters with narrow color
tolerance instead of one with a very wide color tolerance. While the
E-1 files will allow one filter, no other camera will let you get away
with that. It's best to use one filter for the highlight side and one
filter for the shadow side. Be judicious with the +/- control points
to keep hair from getting all matted up.

4. Careful use of fill flash will light the subject better and not
force you to use radial filters.

5. Find a better looking and younger model.

AG