Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 11:14:16 -0800
> The Sioux Falls accident is one that we use at work as a case study in
> excellent CRM.  The Saudia one is an example of appalling CRM.

What really impressed me with this pilot, Tammie Jo Shults, is how she
communicated specific bits of information that clearly indicated to
ATC what was going on and aids to investigators in case they didn't
make it.

For example, when handed off to another controller, she ended with
"Good Day", which was partially habit and partially an indication that
they weren't in full panic mode. They had their hands busy, but they
were not letting the situation control them.

Another example is her indicating that there was a hole in the
fuselage and someone went out. This let ATC know that this escalated
from an engine failure to an all-out damaged aircraft with structural
damage. In otherwords, if we don't make it, look for the missing
pieces 25 miles back. Oh, and there won't be any go-arounds on this
approach. I imagine that Aloha Airlines Flight 243 went through a few
people's heads. Saying that parts of the aircraft are missing also
served as further indication of an abnormal situation, as well as
requesting medical assistance for injured passengers. (ATC is saying
"holy sh**" at this moment)

Related to that was indicating that they were going to be doing a hot
landing (only 5 degrees flaps) because of the damage. The slats on the
entire left wing were trashed by debris and a normal approach speed
probably would have stalled that wing. She did a good job of
indicating that on the radio. Again, not only letting ATC know her
needs, but letting investigators get a handle on the damage to the
aircraft in case things go south. (south by southwest?).

As she was talking with approach, she indicated the desire to stay on
that frequency and not need to change the radio again. "We're really
busy here with the checklists, guys!" This said that while the
situation was high stress and serious, they were following procedures
and not panic mode.

Followed by... "Good Day"

While I've read many transcripts and heard audio of similar incidents
where the pilot had effective communication, I'd say that it's more
the exception than the norm. Especially considering how many clues she
dropped for both ATC and the NTSB to work from without going all
verbose.

The only procedural mistake that she may have made was not stopping on
the runway instead of pulling off onto the taxiway, but that's a
judgement call that was hers to make since evidence of an active fire
was not present.

AG Schnozz