Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 05:53:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I don't think anyone is trying to determine the cause, but there is some
concern about flight safety when a catastrophic incident such as this occurs.
Many years ago a Horizon Airlines Metroliner had a similar failure when the #2
(right) prop hub failed.  One blade of the propeller went through the fuselage,
cutting a passenger in half.  Because of that I'm reluctant to take a seat in
line with the prop disk.

     There was a similar indicent with a reserve C-130A up in Michigan where
the #3 prop hub failed, taking out both hydraulic systems and two other engines.

     And don't forget the DC-10 that lost all hydraulics after an engine
failure and ended up crash landing in Sioux Falls.

>Sure, and I fly on average 3-4 times a month (I am writing this from
>a hotel room in Brussels), so I have an interest in air safety as well,
>but you are not going to determine the cause by looking at cellphone
>photos on the net anyway, and I sense an element of what in New Jersey
>was called “rubbernecking” here.
>

>> Nathan, think about your audience.  Some of us have dealt with
>>aircraft performance and problems for a lifetime.  This is not just
>>a human tragedy but could also be hardware related.  A lot of us
>>have loved ones who ride these Southwest flights frequently. If
>>there is a weakness, we want to know about it.  And, not just next
>>year, when the CAB issues its report.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson