Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:47:31 -0800
On 12/11/2017 3:29 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
. . . .

I discovered that the aurora moves very rapidly when overhead. Quite
fascinating. I saw a display here a couple weeks ago that were from
horizon to horizon, north to south, east to west. They were moving so
fast that a five second exposure would have been on the outer limit of
acceptability. It was the first time I've ever seen them like that.

That's why I suggested a wider lens. Some displays are significantly wider than FF 24 mm. And because they sometimes change rapidly, the panorama solution may not work.

OTOH, Ctein went to Yellowknife Oct/16 and was, happy with the Panny 12/1.4 and made no comments about wishing for something wider. So his wonderful aurorae didn't cause those sorts of trouble.

Alternative Opinions Moose