Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:21:59 -0500
Tina:

Can only talk to cold weather gear that I would take for the northern Great White North.

Long johns etc are /de rigeur/, as you might imagine. I would think about changing jeans for something intrinsically warmer (maybe live in ski pants). Hats should cover ears and neck as well. For boots, try to get ones that have felt liners or similar, because thermal socks only are likely not sufficient. If it's windy, as well as cold, you may want to bring a face mask (holes for eyes etc), or have a scarf handy. Wind chill can be brutal and is definitely dangerous. Frostbite is *not* fun. Consider bringing sunglasses to protect your eyes from glare, if there's a chance of a few hours of sun.

There are lots of high-tech stuff available these days, which could cut down on weight. You may want to bring a very thin/light survival blanket, in case you're caught outside with nowhere to go (e.g. vehicle trouble, injury). Given the hours of darkness, you may also want to have a led flashlight handy, if that's not already on your list.

Martin