Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:34:35 -0500
Great ideas, Ken!! Thanks. I will definitely get the hand warmers and
rubber bands.  The spare M would require extra battery chargers and
batteries but I'll consider it.  We did fine with jeans in Siberia but
jeans are all I own these days. I literally have no other pants than
jeans.  With my extra thick polar or silk long underwear, they are pretty
warm.  At one time I had ski pants.  I'll see if I can find them!

Thanks,

Tina

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina,
>
> The only thing I can think of to alter would be to stuff a spare M
> body in the bag some place. I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare
> body--even if its only purpose in life is to keep your dry socks cozy.
>
> The other item of note would be chemical hand warmers and rubber
> bands. Instead of putting the camera inside your parka between
> pictures, which exposes it to moisture, you can secure the chemical
> hand warmer to the camera/lens in such a way that it will put just
> enough warmth into the camera that everything won't freeze die on you.
>
> I've been learning lots about arctic life up here in Alaska. The
> company I work for has thousands of electronic devices exposed to the
> elements. The normal specification on everything is -20. That's a joke
> as -40 is more like real life. Once an item becomes cold-soaked,
> everything inside turns brittle and electronics can start behaving
> strangely. Over and over again, the most important thing we have to
> protect against is thermal shock. Once an item goes below 0F, even a
> sudden change of 10 degrees can be catastrophic. We don't power cycle
> anything at those temperatures either. Leave everything running all
> the time.
>
> I have found that the OLED display on my cellphone does not like
> severe cold and LCDs become extremely sluggish. Again, the handwarmer
> should keep the camera just warm enough that the displays should stay
> functional. Alternatively, you can put the warmers inside the camera
> bag and pop the camera back into the bag between pictures.
>
> I discovered that the aurora moves very rapidly when overhead. Quite
> fascinating. I saw a display here a couple weeks ago that were from
> horizon to horizon, north to south, east to west. They were moving so
> fast that a five second exposure would have been on the outer limit of
> acceptability. It was the first time I've ever seen them like that.
>
> As to the jeans and long underwear... Jeans are quite cold. Just sayin.
>
> AG
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com