Re: [OM] Falling Water Creek - Freezing

Subject: Re: [OM] Falling Water Creek - Freezing
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:23:09 -0900
>> I'll need to find something more suitable for Alaska as these gloves
>> are good down to freezing, but sub-freezing and sub-zero temperatures
>> will require something more significant.
>
> Staying indoors,
> Until one may go where it doesn't get that cold. ;-)
> Hedonic Moose

Well, considering that winter lasts for 13 months of the year, you'd
never leave the house.

I think I'll figure out a way to get the necessary insulation so I can
enjoy the incredible beauty here. In all honesty, my pictures just
don't do it justice. I was told by people who lived here that
Anchorage is one of the most beautiful cities in the entire country,
but just kinda poo-pooed that. Now I understand and would agree. The
only ones that I think come even close to comparing are Seattle and
San Francisco. Just subtract the crowds and insane traffic jams and
you've got Anchorage.

My own valley (Eagle River Valley) is amazing because you've got
mile-high mountains (base to top) on either side, and they are quite
rugged. Having lived in Colorado, I can think of only a handful of
spots that have this kind of relief, and none that have this kind of
weather/cloud variability.

One hour drive from the house takes you down Turnagain Arm, where you
have one of the highest tides in the world (and Tidal Bores). Add two
more hours and you're in Seward. Going the other way, a half-hour gets
you to Palmer and then the next hour is in mountains going east. Two
hours north-west and you're at Denali. Plenty of glaciers around too.

The earth did shake a tiny bit this morning. We like little shakes.
The big shakes are a different story.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx