Re: [OM] OT: Now What??

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Now What??
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 08:10:15 +0200
I disagree Chris it was aimed at microsoft in general - most systens affected were running XP as these systems were not patched as it was not available, as Paul says the patch was available for supported windows OSs since march

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaCry_ransomware_attack

Schneier provides and interesting take on the situation

https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2017/0515.html

Now let me put out another scenario I just thought of, my sony dvd player recently got an update, sony is being held to ransom for the new pirates of the caribean movie, what if they included some network scanning software in the dvd player update to see whats happening on the local networks in an attemt to find who took the film - scary, hopefully unlikely but possible and think where that may lead

IanW