Re: [OM] OT: Now What??

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Now What??
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:19:50 -0500
> I disagree Chris it was aimed at microsoft in general - most systens
> affected were running XP as these systems were not patched as it was not
> available, as Paul says the patch was available for supported windows OSs
> since march

Pretty much every XP machine that wasn't protected from the outside
world was hit. But so were pretty much every WIN7 machine that wasn't
updated since March.

As to the idiotic comments of "use Apple instead, everything is
perfect in that world". Apple just released bug fixes for both
operating systems that fixed 52 or 53 security flaws that GOOGLE
found! And, yes, the NSA has Apple hacks too, but Apple did a forced
update that left you with no option, but to update.

Yeah, things happen to Apple users too. In fact, as a percentage of
users, Apple users are more likely to be hit by a Spear Phishing
attack than Windows users. The attitude of "my Apple is safe,
therefore, I don't need to worry as much" bites them. And the real
problem here is that Apple users who are a target of a Spear Phishing
attack may not even be aware of what happened, because the stolen
credentials or other information is used for the breach of their
employers--not them directly.

Beware of long-term unexpected effects of a "safe" environment...

It's like automatic transmissions. In the "olden days" you rarely
heard of an old geezer who mowed down 20 people because he thought he
was pressing on the brake peddle instead of the gas peddle. With a
manual transmission, when you need to come to a stop, you do so with
both the left foot and right foot. If the right foot happens to be on
the gas peddle instead of the break, a lot less harm because the left
foot is on the clutch and you just end up coasting. (Now those geezers
are terrorists doing the same thing on purpose).

So, a nice, easy, safe, whatever, environment can cause long-term
issues that may not show up for 30 years.

Sorry, got to soap-boxing...

AG