Re: [OM] Solar Battery Charger or Power Bank

Subject: Re: [OM] Solar Battery Charger or Power Bank
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 13:21:16 -0700
On 5/16/2017 10:59 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
Nope.  The Leica battery charger only plugs into the wall.  I won't have a
vehicle.  I've ordered extra batteries and a battery power pack that will
allow the Leica charger to be plugged into it - not through USB but through
the regular plug.  I'm hoping that will be enough for 10 days!!

Some rough calculations indicate a 12v battery with a capacity of 12 Ah should be able to charge one battery per charge. A 5w, 12v solar cell should charge that battery in about 6 hrs of good sunlight. Syria in the summer suggests plenty of sunlight. So there is a long term solution that would support at least one battery per day of shots.

You don't say what the capacity of your battery power pack is. If it's greater than 12 Ah, can be recharged from a solar cell, you get more hours of sunlight most days and the occasional chance to recharge from 110 VAC or 12 VDC, it should work for quite a long time with multiple batteries, perhaps the whole trip.

In addition to the power bank with built-in inverter you have ordered, I would buy a stand alone inverter and 12v multiple car "lighter" outlet adapter. That way, you could be charging the power bank at the same time as charging an SL battery, rather than depleting the power bank as you are charging it. This is tiny, inexpensive and gets good reviews. <https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Power-Inverter-Smallest-Powerful/dp/B01LYJI5U1/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1494965472&sr=1-1&keywords=AUKEY+120W+Power+Inverter>

A shame the Leica batteries haven't been cloned. The generic chargers sold for/with most third party camera batteries have 12v inputs. That's how I charge batteries in our Turtle without an inverter. I still need an inverter for the computer, and am ordering one of the above to replace the one I have - which used to be about the smallest available.

Good luck!

Power Full Moose