Re: [OM] OT Chili Dogs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Chili Dogs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:38:40 -0500
> Can't say I totally understand this phenomenon of "best of" versions which
> appear to be mundane plebian fare but AG seems to have a point about
> G&L Greek chili dogs--a quick search reveals a near cult following.

Very much so. It's something that you literally can't get anywhere
else, and you REALLY want it to be everywhere else. Most mush buckets
of slop that people call "chili dogs" are culinary disasters of
unspeakable proportions. G&L's are in a league of their own. There is
no chili dog like a G&L chili dog. There are greek style coney dogs
all over the country, and some are actually quite good, but G&L's are
in a category of their own.

To give it a twist that Nathan might be able to understand, it's kinda
like Frit Flagey. You just can't get fries like that in a McDonalds in
Kansas.

The G&L recipe is a closely guarded secret and to be able to have
reverse engineered it to this level (and I cannot claim that it is
anywhere near exact, but has reached the "close enough" point), is
something of great pride and happiness.

A good friend of mine has a catering/BBQ business that I exchanged my
recipe for his rib recipe. I think it was a fair trade.

AG Schnozz