Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...

Subject: Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 16:54:59 -0800
> From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Neither zoom nor autofocus, but Rokinon, Samyang, Tokina (& for all I
> know others) have a 300mm F6.3 mirror lens. My guess is they are the
> same lens with different labels, but I could be wrong.
> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/news/new-rokinon-reflex-300mm-f63-lens-brings-mirror-mirrorless
>
> These would tempt me since they are relatively cheap & lightweight.
> Can anyone report experience with them?

I don’t have experience with the specific mirrors mentioned, but I’ve shot a
lot of mirrors, and they are, well, “different.”

First off, there’s the fixed aperture, which might not bother you.

Second would be the odd bokeh, which many think look “bad.” It can look great
if carefully worked - the doughnut of single specular highlights look
interesting, but I must agree that the bokeh of non-point-source things look
bad.

Finally, mirrors are notoriously low-contrast and flat-looking. No “punch.”

The OM Zuiko mirror is rated one of the best, and I love using it in
specialized situations, but even it is lacking when compared to even cheap
refractive lenses of the same focal length.

But hey, they’re cheap! And probably fun, too! Just don’t expect anything like
Olympus performance out of them.