Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...

Subject: Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 17:11:33 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Couple more comments.  Would not totally dismiss the newly designed Panny
100-300 ii --very few reviews out yet.  The IS is the latest version and
clearly better than the previous incarnation.
Comparison  of the older version with the mighty Panny Leica 100-400  here :

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/03/10/panasonic-100-400mm-vs-100-300mm/

The new version has some CA and the corners at 300 are not perfect so I would
surmise the 100-400 is better at 400 than the 100-300 is at 300 but bet it is
fairly close.
I do like my Panny/L 100-400 and can't beat the flexibility.  The rendering of
the Oly 300 Plus TC I think is  better under many conditions though that is an
impression.  Doesn't make sense to get the Oly
unless it is to be used on very new Oly body.

I am not sure about the Professor Moose's comments on the
extender/Teleconverter (TC).  When I hear safari, I had thought it more likely
it to be used to extend reach at distant focusing distance and not increase mag
at or near MFD.   It is also an interesting conjecture that the exit pupil
distance to the sensor matters more for lens performance even with MFT lenses
due to the thick sensor stack.  I have only seen the exit pupil distance
mentioned as a known important variable when using lenses designed for
different sensor stack thickness- what we clearly know:

1) Difference between actual stack thickness and designed stack thickness.
(zero for film)
 2) Exit pupil distance (shorter distance gives more problems)
 3) Aperture (wider aperture gives more problems)
 4) Angle of view (wide angle gives more problems)

Putting an extension tube on a MFT lens may be fine but would anticipate some
issues with lenses with floating elements.  Some lenses just don't behave well
with extension and the reasons remain  mysterious to me.
I recall a few e-mail exchanges with Tamron tech many years ago--they said best
to use the matched TC on the vaunted  Tam 80-200 to increase mag then use
extension.  Now I have really drifted off topic even more.

Fan of Professor Moose, Mike