Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...

Subject: Re: [OM] On topic, well, could be ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 22:25:29 -0800
Couple more comments.  Would not totally dismiss the newly designed Panny
100-300 ii --very few reviews out yet.  The IS is the latest version and
clearly better than the previous incarnation.
Comparison  of the older version with the mighty Panny Leica 100-400  here :

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/03/10/panasonic-100-400mm-vs-100-300mm/

The new version has some CA and the corners at 300 are not perfect so I would
surmise the 100-400 is better at 400 than the 100-300 is at 300 but bet it is
fairly close.

In what may or may not be an analogous situation, using the same sort of logic, I tried the recent Panny 12-60, released a year ago. Decent lens, but not a patch on the Oly 12-100. Haven't done the careful tests yet, but it looks like the PLeica 12-60 is more like the 12-100. so the mere fact that a Panny lens is a recent design doesn't necessarily mean superior IQ.

I do like my Panny/L 100-400 and can't beat the flexibility.

As the above review says, reach is THE factor for mammalian and avian wildlife.

  The rendering of the Oly 300 Plus TC I think is  better under many conditions
though that is an impression.  Doesn't make sense to get the Oly unless it is
to be used on very new Oly body.

I imagine it to be better at native FL than the 100-400 @300. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little better @ 420 mm with TC, at least on test charts. In the field, at distances, with 3D, often moving subjects, I wonder what practical difference there would be.

I am not sure about the Professor Moose's comments on the
extender/Teleconverter (TC).  When I hear safari, I had thought it more likely
it to be used to extend reach at distant focusing distance and not increase mag
at or near MFD.

Certainly that would be the primary reason for the longest lens that's practical. I simply (mis?)read "extender" to mean extension tube, and thus close focus, while you read it to mean telextender. I would not try any TC on a long µ4/3 lens but the dedicated one for the Oly 300/4. Are there any others??

If I were going, I would certainly take something for C-U shots. It's the wilds, and there's lots of interesting stuff out there, of all sorts of sizes.

It is also an interesting conjecture that the exit pupil distance to the sensor
matters more for lens performance even with MFT lenses due to the thick sensor
stack.

I'm talking further about this in a separate reply.

Split Subjects Moose