Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: High Tech Life
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 18:59:57 +1030
On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 08:36:29PM -0800, Moose wrote:
> I am completely befuddled by both Chris and you ignoring the XP option in
> Win7.
> IT IS COMPLETELY FREE!
> IT INSTALLS SIMPLY!
> IT IS BULLETPROOF!
> IT RUNS ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING THAT RAN UNDER XP - BECAUSE IT IS XP.

...But I *have*  mentioned Win7 several times in this extended chain of
threads (and in private) :)

It's *not* completely free in this context - you'd still have to buy a
Win7 license and media - for PROFESSIONAL edition or better. The bad
news is that support for this tool ended the same day as it did for
WinXP itself.  Support for Win7 ends in 2020. To run DOS applications
(even within XP) properly - which is part of Chris's overall needs I
think - some sort of real DOS API emulation is needed. If you have to go
down this path anyway, you may as well use something that has no known
sunset date.

So many options... This is the big benefit of macs for many, there is
only one way-  theirs - and one needs not care (or even know) about
anything else.

And then there's the whole virtualisation discussion, which I'll not
head into, but if anyone is interested, contact me off-list. As part of
this, if someone on the list needs a reminder of how bad these things
were, and how far we've come since, I found a WfW3.11 VirtualBox image
the other day (and a DOS6.22 OVA too). You'll probably need to find
trumpet winsock or similar to get it on your TCP/IP LAN... :) (Now I'm
showing my age :)) VirtualBox will run under UNIX/Linux and later
windows (and even macs), and *IS* completely free.

davidt