Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7

Subject: Re: [OM] WinXP vs. Win7
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:50:41 +1030
On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 07:55:41PM +1030, David Thatcher wrote:
> If it's an upgrade key, you may need to have an XP disk to hand to
> 'qualify' the install (I've never done an XP->7 upgrade). Depending on
> the age of the source disk, you'll no doubt have a ton of updates to do.

I forgot to add:

You would also need to check the System Properties to see which edition
(Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate)
the system is, as the key would only work for that edition, and you may
need to obtain the correct edition media.

I also had some misery with XP a few years ago where keys used on
certain name brand machines did not work with OEM 'System Builder'
media.

davidt