Re: [OM] New tutorial on my photo lessons website

Subject: Re: [OM] New tutorial on my photo lessons website
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 13:45:20 -0800
On 2/2/2017 2:09 PM, Christopher Crawford wrote:
I have just added a new tutorial to my Photo Lessons website!

White Balance Demystified
<http://crawfordphotoschool.com/digital/whitebalance/index.php>

That's a pretty good summary. Covers the basics of the subject with clear
writing.
----------
Factual correction:

You say "The gray tone is coated on the surface, so be careful not to scratch
it."

The WhiBal website says "It must be physically rugged. waterproof, scratch proof (color goes all the way through, not just a coating on top) . . ." And that agrees with my experience with the the pocket sized ones.

You also say ". . . it is waterproof and can be washed if it gets dirty."That's certainly true of the gray card itself. The white and black patches are a sticker or stickers, depending on model, and I would not immerse and scrub them. But then, I haven't tried; maybe they are tougher than they look? Certainly they don't handle wear well, while the card itself does.
----------
I like what you say on the last page, under "Final Thoughts: Perfect Color Isn't Always The Right Color" and the advice to generally shoot Raw with camera WB set to daylight, then make any corrections in conversion or post. I find the example image too subtle.

I think I'd lead with some form of "Perfect Color Isn't Always The Right Color", in knowing that informs the rest of the content in an important way.

I also believe there's "Perfect Color Isn't Always The Right Color" is the rational reason why Auto WB in most cameras leans warm in incandescent light. At least until very recently, we have spent much of our indoor lives in light much warmer than sunlight. Even now, given choices of color temp of lighting, it seems most people opt for warm, rather than daylight.

Considering the balance in indoor pictures taken towards casual shots including people, I'll bet that really accurate color would be perceived negatively by most users. Those of us who fuss about this stuff are a tiny minority of camera users.

I agree with John H. about clarity of meaning in the sentence he suggests
changing.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work. I've used WhiBals for years, with good results. The other day, it failed rather badly. Click the dropper in ACR or PS Levels on the gray, and the rest of the subject is obviously all wrong. Click the black and white droppers in Levels, and it's much better, although still perhaps not quite right.

Colorful Moose