Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:48:06 -0500
 I'll tell you my quick & dirty way of making cold-pack pickles. There is a
brand of pickled okra (Talk O' Texas) that I like. The jar is small and
rarely lasts more than one sitting with me (I love pickled okra). When I
buy the okra I also buy a few small cucumbers. After I eat the okra, I
scrub the cucumbers and split them lengthwise. Put them in the remaining
brine and spices from the okra. Refrigerate for a few days and, voila, you
have pickles. Another easy recipe:

1 quart jar with lid
Cucumbers, thinly sliced
White onions, thinly sliced
50/50 mixture water and white vinegar
1/2 to 1 Cup sugar
Peppercorns

  Warm the water/vinegar mixture, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Allow
to cool to room temperature. Pack the jar with cucumber and onion slices,
add peppercorns and then fill the jar to the top with water/vinegar/sugar
mixture. Cap and refrigerate 2-3 days. As these are sweet, they are usually
eaten as a side dish. Keep for about a week in the fridge.

Charlie