Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Phood Phetishes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 15:34:47 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Let's not go too far with that.  Most pickles in this country are a hot
process, where the cucumbers are brought to a boil in the canning process.
This causes them to be a bit soft.  Claussen is a cold process, so they remain
crisp.  Whether or not that's entirely correct, that's my understanding.

     Much food over here is processed more than in Europe.  Most German
domestic beer, for instance, is neither carbonated nor Pasteurised, only the
exported ones are.  That makes it less filling, and if you're not aware of this
you're under the table long before you get the full feeling that you're used to
over here.  It tastes much better that way, and my favourite brand was Binding.

     The rum custard filling in French Petit-Four is not artificial flavouring.
 I learned this when I was ten years old, having eaten a couple one evening
within a week of arriving in Orléans.  Imagine being drunk at the age of ten.

>Heinz pickles are total fakes. If you have a Polish grocer in your town,
>look for the real thing, like the Rolnik brand.
>

>>     Ah!  From the Post-Gazette!  I'll have to read it later when I'm
>>on wifi.  Couldn't imaging Heinz being out of the pickle business.
>>That's the bulk of their 57 varieties.
>>

>>> I was wrong, apparently.  Here is a link from 6 months ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.post-gazette.com/business/pittsburgh-company-news/2016/07/13/New-Heinz-pickles-target-younger-audience/stories/201607130071
>>>
>>> Jim Nichols

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson