Re: [OM] Completely OT: Pivot Tables

Subject: Re: [OM] Completely OT: Pivot Tables
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:54:55 -0800
On 1/15/2017 7:27 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      I have yet to encounter a situation where Excel was not adequate.  I
previously had used Lotus 1-2-3.

Not much you couldn't do with them. Because it was the ill advised spec., I created a whole normalized database info system with it. What a mess, but it got my foot in the door. Once it made the Chairman, Pres, CEO happy, I was able to recreate and expand it using a real database system. Darn thing is still alive, decades and acquisition by another company later.

I made some pretty over the top spreadsheets, but the one Accounting made for annual budgeting was beyond amazing. Going in there was weirder than any video adventure game. I sometimes felt I might get lost and never get out. Having used 'real' financial planning and control systems on the mainframe before, I was amazed by that thing. If you lost the guy who (mostly) understood it, it was game over, start from scratch. This in an enormous, Fortune 500 company.

Lost In the Formulae Moose