Re: [OM] Fwd: A question about sensors

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: A question about sensors
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:20:45 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
D to D Moose writes:

<<<<<<Dose anyone outside the makers have the actual numbers, as opposed to
little graphs?

Well those with sophistication optical benches like Roger at Lensrentals to a
degree.  Many "just" have Imatest  but they have both.  There are no perfect
lenses or perfect lens tests for that matter.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/10/there-is-no-perfect-lens-test-either/

<<<So, I'm going to keep forgetting about this potential problem, and happily
snap
<<<away.

Never said you shouldn't.  I love my GM-5, but all things being equal, why not
have the cam set to use the mech 2nd curtain at SS <1/500?  I think we both
have the cams set to default that way.  I know you checked while you were in S.
Hamilton.  The GM-5 AFAIK has the identical sensor/shutter mechanism as the
GM-1 and the effect of using the e-shutter can be seen when the system is
pushed.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2014/05/worse-image-quality-with-e-shutter.html

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53300241

I can't think of a good reason to use the total E-shutter at lower SS except
mebbe to use the rolling shutter artifact for some artsy effects.

<<<<<<.... the DxO numbers you link to may mean nothing to my usual photography

Yes, I don't think the DXO numbers will mean very much.  I do see that the
Sonny sensor is very very  good with astro landscapes and have not seen too
many  examples with MFT as of yet.

Mike