Re: [OM] Opinions on Canon equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on Canon equipment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 20:01:41 -0800
On 1/8/2017 4:14 PM, John Hudson wrote:
My neice-in-law and her husband live in Maine and will be taking a three week trip to New Zealand next Christmas. She has asked my opinion on the following rig
Canon
EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) - Wi-Fi
Enabled
Canon

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens

Canon
EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens for Canon SLR Camera

Any opinion on these items ?

It's all highly competent gear. But is it the right sort of gear? Unless at least one of them is a (D)SLR user, I'd hesitate to go with a DSLR. Unless at least one is a pretty serious and experienced photographer, and convinced smaller sensors won't do, I see the size, weight and $$ of a FF DSLR kit as more likely detriment than advantage.

An awful lot of people in that situation, with big, heavy gear they aren't used to carrying or using, end up taking most of their vacation pix with their phones.

If they come from P&S and/or phone/tablet photography, a mirrorless system is a much better bet to please. Actually, mirrorless is pleasing a lot of people who previously used DSLRs.

If it MUST be Canon, their M mirrorless series. Else, µ4/3 or Fuji.

I'm looking for a decent camera for our trip to New Zealand next year

If that's a quote from those looking for advice, with no more detail than that, I would again go with small, light and capable.

Moose D'Opinion