Re: [OM] High Speed Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] High Speed Trains
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:07:41 -0600
There are areas of the US where high speed trains could make a go of things, but the considerations are largely political, although in the past there has been pushback from the freight railroads. Remember in the US Amtrak operates almost exclusively over trackage owned by the freight railroads. As traffic went up in the last ten or so years, there was capacity considerations. Currently, US freight rail capacity is flattening, so they might be more amenable.

Also, in few areas are the railroads grade separated, so dealing with the possibility of car or truck vs. train crashes are a serious consideration.

OTOH, when the Santa Fe operated steam passenger trains ( back in the thirties) the Super Chief went over 100 mph in Western Kansas. Of course, there's a reason why you might want to go even faster, or fly over western Kansas. Alas, there is inadequate population density for much of anything to be economical or profitable.

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Trask