Re: [OM] High Speed Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] High Speed Trains
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 19:28:34 -0500
Thanks, Philippe.  We're still on track to leave on January 20th.  We met a
guy from England yesterday at the Charlotte airport who brought us all of
our vouchers and tickets.  We will ride the train from Beijing through
Mongolia and then to Lake Baikal and across Siberia to Moscow and then St.
Petersburg.  We'll be back February 17th so it's almost a month.  We stop
in several places for several nights, including a couple of nights in gers
in Mongolia.  We are traveling by ourselves but should have escorts meeting
us everywhere and taking us to our next destination.  All in all, it ended
up being cheaper than a group trip, but we had to do a lot of the planning
ourselves.  I'm looking forward to the train experience as much as the new
territory to explore.

Tom is so exhausted just walking up and down the stairs these days that we
are really going to have to take it easy on the trip and let other people
take care of us!  Train travel should be good for that.

I appreciate your good wishes!

Tina

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Driving is time consuming - trains allow you to read, talk to people, get
> some rest, and pollute less, etc.
>
> I regret trains are sometimes too fast these days, and I also miss the
> (real) restaurant cars.
>
> I envy Tina and Tom with their trans-siberian plan, which I DO hope for
> many reasons, Tom’s health being the less selfish one, they can actually
> carry out soon.
>
> Amities
>
> Philippe
>
> > Le 30 déc. 2016 à 20:20, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit
> :
> >
> >     Virtually every nation in western Europe has high speed (HST) rail
> service.  Japan and South Korea have HSTs  China has the fastest passenger
> trains, the Harmony Express, as well as the first magrail train in
> Shanghai.  South Africa has one in Johannesburg.  Now Morocco has initiated
> their own TGV (French) HST service:
> >
> > http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38471392
> >
> >     So where does the rich, powerful, high-tech US fit into all this
> with the 65MPH Acella?  It falls into the "cruel joke" category.
> >
> >     Out here, I can drive to Las Vegas almost as fast as I could fly,
> and I don't have to worry about being strip-searched.
> >

> > Chris
> >
> > When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
> >     - Hunter S. Thompson
> > --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com