Re: [OM] Holiday Message From Our House

Subject: Re: [OM] Holiday Message From Our House
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:35:39 -0800
On 12/28/2016 10:49 AM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
Lensatic Moose writes:

<<<<I didn't shop hard. Panny had (has?) a sale going, $100 off. B&H was out of
stock.

Well sale is over, it seems.  I now have a monitoring search on camelcamel to
give me a heads up. (uh, left out one camel I think).
I read Ctein comments a some of yours on TOP.

I don't believe either were informed by actual use of the lens. Mine only talked about things like OIS vs. none. Some were Mike, and I don't trust his take on lenses, as we have very different taste in subjects, styles and lens rendering.

Bokeh not always perfection IMO, but quite good.

Mikey said ". . . this little lens gets the o-o-f blur, the bokeh, just right, I think. This is the blur every other lens can strive to emulate. According to me and my taste. Coherent, just a /little/ characterful with a touch of bite, not fuzzy at all. Beautiful."

He has perfectly defined what I would call poor, but not awful, bokeh. :-) And that's generally what I see in the samples on the web. OTOH, it's not worse than the 45/1.8

Still, best game in town for the application.

Yup

Need a compact flash that swivels so can bounce in portrait mode. Best fit I know of is the Nissin i40 but I wish something more compact would work. I wish Dr. Flash could comment. My Metz is just HUGE on the GM-5 but works OK. Also the Metz auto mode on Panny is weird--sometimes need much more neg FEC than are allowed to dial in.

Have you tried continuous lighting? WYSIWYG without chimping. There are some
cheap LED lights that are quite good.

<<<I've just been using my 85/2, BTW, to compare the Minolta Varifocus to the
<<<Nikon Soft filters at the same FL.

Interesting, can't wait to see what you think.

Hmmm, thought I did that in my post "Minolta Varisoftlens and Nikon Soft
filters" on the 23rd.

Quick summary: Various lenses with lots of spherical aberrations, both intentional and not, at wide apertures, and the Nikkor Soft filters give broadly similar results. As you stop down, the lenses start to sharpen up. With the filters, there is no such effect. You can get soft and deep.

My particular interest at the moment is soft, but detailed, something I've seen and admired in large prints from large negs, but not in smaller format. For the first time, I feel I may be on its trail, at least for static subjects.

All kinds of fascinating stuff happening in Mooseland.

I wish I knew what it all meant.

Bokeh Shouldn't Bite Moose