Re: [OM] Holiday Message From Our House

Subject: Re: [OM] Holiday Message From Our House
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:34:16 -0800
On 12/27/2016 7:45 AM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
Switching Gear Moose writes:

<<And it's hard to believe how good the 42.5/1.7 looks on the GM5. Miles more
<<stylish than Oly 45/1.8 on E-PL6 :-)

I would have to agree, on paper seems close to perfect.  Please report in as
soon as convenient.

There are several relatively complete reviews out there. Overall conclusion is that it's a bit better than the Oly 45/1.8 in the measurable things. One review shows trouble wide open with small, bright light sources, about halfway down here. <http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G_42-5mm_f1-7_H_HS043E/> OTOH, I like the Panny 'stars' better.

But really, I doubt I'd ever see a difference in my book, print or web images - it's all about OIS for the GM1 & 5. Absent unexpected problems, the 45/1.8 will be off to KEH soon.

Ctein also has recently acquired one, and was a much heavier user of the 45/1.8
than I, so his report may be useful.

Might be a good lens to try Greentoe again. Where did you find yours?

I didn't shop hard. Panny had (has?) a sale going, $100 off. B&H was out of stock. I had an almost $50 credit at Amazon and Prime meant delivery before Christmas, so . . .

I like the on lens aperture control of the 42.5/1.2 and dof control but it is huge (460 gm) in comparison.

About 98-99% of the time, I'm looking for more, not less, DoF.

42.5/1.7 is only 130gm with IS--perfect but still just a tad slow.

That doesn't signify for me. Of the 94+k images in my LR catalog (excluding
recent test shots):
f1.4 = 14, all OM 50/1.4
f1.6 = 20, LensBaby Velvet 56
f1.7 & 1.8 = 260
f2.0 = 673
. . .

Yes, I do like the speed for casual portraits, but I don't think a stop is worth all that size and weight. I wouldn't be getting the shots.

Curiously MFT lenses can be very tiny/light and excellent IQ when slow, but balloon in size/wt when getting close to same dof control as fast FF lenses. The Zuiko 85/2 is only 260 gm.

The eensy bit faster µ4/3 FOV eqs. are 130 & 116 gm. No fair comparing f2 to
f1.2. ;-)

I've just been using my 85/2, BTW, to compare the Minolta Varifocus to the
Nikon Soft filters at the same FL.

GM5 fan, Mike

I've become a big fan, too. As my serious kit just got bigger, one E-M5 II with 12-100 and another with 100-400, it's not with me all the time. The super light kit, Panny ZS50, is really quite good, in good light. For now, the sweet spot in between is the GM5.

The 12-35 and 35-100 are excellent, and unobtrusive. The 14-140 adds OIS reach that I like a lot, and caters to my aversion to lens changes in the field. :-) The 42.5 fills in the need for some speed with OIS at the important 85 mm eq. portrait length.

Lensatic Moose