Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: SL Summilux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:43:11 -0800
He needs to get another sample or update the one he has.

I agree. I find it difficult to imagine that Leica would allow the rather considerable barrel distortion seen in his images in their lens design. Assuming that's true, and if I were them, I'd have an agent on a plane to track that guy down and, forcibly, if necessary, swap lenses.

Then, back home for forensic analysis to find out what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen to others. Could even be a mechanical weakness that allows a lens or group to be jarred out of place. That could also account for focus problems, I suppose.

He did mention there was to be a firmware update.  Perhaps that was the issue.

If it's in the Raw image, it's optical, and firmware won't make a difference.

Unless their Raw isn't, and is manipulated before export.

That would be new, and disturbing. Headline: "Leica Leads the Way to a New World of
Fake Optics!"

BTW, yet another Leica shallow DoF aficionado who blew it for me. The third 'sunglasses' portrait is nicely focused on her hairline, with lower face disturbingly, to me, OOF. Most are nailed, though.

Roots Moose