Re: [OM] Fwd: IMGS: SL Summilux

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: IMGS: SL Summilux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 22:29:36 -0800
On 12/24/2016 6:39 PM, Michael Gordon via olympus wrote:

Brewing Moose:
<<The other post I made at about the same time is part of the tea leaves.

Hah ha, YUGE hint!!  The Lapsang souchong is ready, I think.  I believe it may
be Dean's favorite lens, though I didn't think  a Zuiko acquisition would be
referred to in such a cryptic manner.

All GAS is a mysterious, Arcane matter, and may at times benefit from an
elliptical approach.

Yes, the new odd ball macro lens has nothing on it nor probably even the Canyon
65MPE.  The latter has significant FL shortening at higher mags and the working
distance at 5X is only 41mm whereas THE ZUIKO 38/2.8 on the 5DII with 7mm ext
tube on the bellows is 37mm.  Still not much room  for maneuvering or lighting
and Dr. Noflash might have to bite his tongue.

He already mentioned the old OM macro flashes languishing in a drawer. Ready if
needed.

Perfect lens for stacking if the subject permits. It can take me 45min to set up one shot on a good day. I have several planned projects with it that have yet to be started.

I've for some time been interested in small to tiny still life subjects, with a special sub-interest in those where scale is indeterminate. I've done the occasional one. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous&image=IMG_0215cr2oofm.jpg>

I'm also interested in the effect of lighting, as here, where the exact same subject and photo gear <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9623>
have dramatically different results with different lighting.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9621>

As I'm also interested in extended DoF, I hope to use the 60/2.8 Macro and focus bracketing on the E-M5 II. I have 3D subjects in mind that either wouldn't work or would take hours of manual focus stacking before the automagic version.

The 38/2.8 is in the way of insurance, if I want to get greater mag than the 50/2.8 with auto extensions can do, or do well, as I don't know its limits. And, well, I do have a handful of prospective subjects for higher mags. :-)

Stillness Moose