Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on OM 7 ??
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 14:43:06 -0600
> Unless you have a need for low-light video, I wouldn't by an S. The
> difference between a 7 II  or 7r II would be largely dependent on your
> budget, I'd say. Apart from beter IQ (and higher ISO capability),
> interesting features that the A7r II has and the A7II not are 4K video
> (nice to have) and silent shutter (for me a must have ;-).

While the S model is a fantastic high-ISO camera, it's got other
issues. But with my experience of shooting the 6D in "available
coal-mine", I'm pretty well convinced that the replacement MUST have
better capabilities. Everything else, that I have, handles lower-ISO
needs well, but having something that you can handhold shoot under
moonlight is awesome. The reality is that the 6D isn't really all that
good, with color-splotches that can't be addressed with any
noise-reduction tool.

What I'm saying is that I personally would be OK with 24MP that gives
me ultra-high ISOs than 30+ MP of mush. My pushing the envelope with
the 6D is two-fold. I'm doing extended time exposures (up to 30
seconds in most cases)  and I'm also doing extremely high ISO, but
shorter exposures. Compared to my 4/3 cameras, I can shoot longer
exposures and higher-ISO exposures, but only to a point. It's not like
film where I only have to do battle with reciprocity failure.

That said, I'm very impressed with the long-exposures from the A7RII,
but the high-ISO is lacking. I'd be pretty satisfied with one of those
cameras lurking in my bag next to the OM-3Ti.

The original A7R is still a pretty good camera. It lacks the
refinements of the second version that addressed the bulk of the
weaknesses and complaints of the original. The original has a great
sensor that is held back by a less than great body and processing
chain.

It's such a shame that Canon has missed the memo on mirrorless and
modern sensor development. Canon appears to be following in the
footsteps of Kodak.

AG Schnozz