Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 21:52:07 -0800
On 11/7/2016 10:25 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Thanks, Moose.  I thought that you might come up with a different plan; I have considered a
µ43 body, but I don’t fancy another line of lenses.

I don’t think that I’ll buy another 1/2.3” sensor model; I’ll stick with my XQ2 until I find
my ideal replacement – I forgot to mention that I’d like to be able to put the camera into a pocket.

Finding truly pocketable camera with enough IQ, high ISO, etc. performance isn't easy. The RX100 is the smallest, but frustrated the dpreview testers:

"The RX100 V works exceedingly well as a capable point-and-shoot camera, but as with previous models, we've found ourselves frustrated when trying to take greater control over it for decisive-moment shooting.
"The RX100 V has the potential to be just about all the camera any enthusiast might
ever need."

That is, frankly, a shame. For all that Sony has done to make this a worthy upgrade from the Mark IV, it's also the things they /haven't/ done that bear mentioning as well. There are still just too few controls on this camera, there still isn't a touchscreen (to more easily take advantage of that snazzy new PDAF system), the user interface is still unfriendly and the sluggish speed at which the camera reacts (or doesn't react) to some inputs stands in stark contrast to how unbelievably fast it can pull images off the sensor."

Their conclusions leave me thinking I'd not be happy. But Bob likes his, I
believe, and may weigh in?

As I said, the lack of an EVF would rule out the LX15 for me. Having used the VF-less GM1 a lot, I'm happier with the slightly larger GM5. I've become spoiled, I suppose.

That leaves the ZS100, of those you mention. Having extensively used the GM series and GX7, above it and the ZS40 and 50 below it, I believe it would please me to operate and give good results.

It's interesting about the GM5. I don't really consider it part of my (too?) extensive range of µ4/3 lenses. Those bodies don't have IBIS, and most of the lenses don't have OIS. In a way, it could just as easily have a different lens mount. The two lenses specifically designed for the GM series are marvels, amazingly small and light, but good performers. With 12-35, the GM5 is eminently jacket pocketable, but not shirt or jeans. As Mike points out, the other lens fits easily into the other jacket pocket.

I suppose the real question might be what you find wanting in the XQ2, and which would be adequately improved by a 1" sensor camera, with whatever other features.

I've just done some noodling in the dpreview Image Comparator, a marvelous resource. @ 100%, there are very clear improvements in resolution and high ISO performance as one goes up the sensor size ladder. The RX100, for example, is noticeably better than the XQ2, but the difference going up to a 4/3 sensor, with the GM5 as my example, is an even greater step up, especially at higher ISOs.

It seems that a compromise must be reached between form factor, EVF, zoom range and IQ. I'm so enamored with the fun and great shots I've had from the ZS40/50 with that 24-720 mm eq. zoom that the 250 eq. long end of the ZS100 sounds boring - even with better IQ. :-) But when I want IQ in a compact camera, I'm happy to put up with the size of the GM5.

As I've mentioned, I was happy to handle the size of GM5 with 14-140 as a casual small, but not pocketable, camera, and very happy with the results. Very small for the zoom range, but with OM-D level IQ.

Good luck with the endless search . . . :-)

Explorer Moose