Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: high-end compacts?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:26:28 -0800
On 11/7/2016 10:52 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Stupid question: Why even bother with a high-end compact? Aren't the
latest/greatest cellphones good enough for you?

Nope, at least based on the samples touted as great that I've looked closely at.

To paraphrase Otto (Horst Buchholz) in One, Two Three, cellphone cameras are like dead herring in the moonlight, all glitter on the surface, but rotten underneath.

. . .

The thing about these compacts that bothers me is that even though
they can be outstanding imaging systems, I have this sense of
impending doom about them in that I know, for some odd reason, the
pictures just aren't going to be as good as with a DSLR.

Make that something other than DSLR, please. * * *

And no, they won't be quite as good**, but for what use? The compacts are better than cellphones, so far, yet much easier to carry than large sensor cameras.

As the old adage about the best camera being the one in hand, is still true, I still get the best image with a compact that I carry than with a large camera I don't. :-)

And I absolutely hate zoom lenses that have a maximum aperture of F8
at the long end...

None mentioned so far in this thread. The 3x compacts Chris started it with are f2.8 at their long ends. The 10X is f6.0. My 24-720 mm eq. is f6.4 @ 720. Once again, the lens you have, the use at hand . . . 720 mm, f6.4, 1/2.3" sensor is still better than a large sensor cropped to the eq. FOV.

Horses for Courses Moose

* DSLRGM = Don't use an SLR, go Mirrorless

** As a contemporary DSLR. Your personal color/torture resistance/whatever issues aside, high end compacts whup your E-1, L-1 etc.