Re: [OM] Recent activity notes, some OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent activity notes, some OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:41:19 -0700
On 10/18/2016 5:45 AM, Frank wrote:

PS  The E-1 had no IBIS, and I think stabilization for non-native lenses on
the E-3 came as a firmware update?

"E-3 Firmware Ver1.1 has incorporated the following upgrade.
- Enabled use of the Image Stabilization function with non-Four Thirds System interchangeable lenses by inputting a specific focal length. For details on operations, please click on the URL. " <http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/esystem/data_e3_1.1_e510_1.3_ENU.pdf>

Maybe your E-3 was set for the lens you used to picture the moon, by accident?

More likely, IS was turned off, as the manual advises for tripod shooting.

I had no idea such a thing is / existed / was possible or desirable .

IS has to know the focal length. It doesn't look at the image on the sensor; it senses movement of the camera. It's simple trigonometry to figure out how far to move the sensor to counteract camera movement, but does require knowing the focal length. Even better if it knows focal distance, which it does with native AF lenses. Thus IS is always going to be better with AF lenses, except at whatever default focal distance it uses, probably 1:40.

"Recently I had need to try the Zuiko 200/4 and 300/4.5 on the M5 for a subject
about 1 km distant.

I found them very disappointing. Difficult to focus, much ?chroma? green
margins on items,
and not sharp. The kit tele lens (guessing 50 - 150) was much sharper."

Were you using a tripod? If so, and IBIS was off, the differences may be
optically real. Hand held, or on a tripod, with IBIS on, and IBIS FL set wrong,
the kit lens would give sharper results simply because the IBIS knows its focal
length, while the IBIS is actually making things worse for the MF lenses, by
mis-correcting movement of the sensor.

I had a brief scare when I popped the Oly Fish-eye Lens Cap on my E-M5. There were these horrible crashing sounds from the camera. The IBIS had been left set for a long lens (600mm?) and was banging against the limits of its movement. I immediately turned it off, thought for a few moments, and reset the IBIS focal length to 9 mm.

Stable Moose