Re: [OM] Battery life in micro 4/3 camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery life in micro 4/3 camera
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 09:24:49 -0500
The OM-6D is an interesting beast when it comes to battery
consumption. If I don't use the monitor, live-view, etc., and had WiFi
and GPS turned off, the battery life for shooting is somewhere north
of a thousand. But live-view it, do video, and have GPS turned on?
You'll whack the battery in under an hour. It really comes down to
screen time and how many bits are flowing through the circuits. When
I'm doing 1080p/30, the temperature rises quite dramatically. A half
hour of video capture will raise the internal temperate 30 degrees C.
All that heat generation comes at the expense of the battery.

BTW, one little hint about battery grips. Almost without exception,
the battery grips that take two standard camera batteries will also
run perfectly well on one. Unless you specifically need the run time
that two batteries give (video recording, or a time-lapse that runs
through the night), just install one battery in it. When you install
that one battery, if you place it in the right-hand chamber, the
Center of Gravity will move more towards your right hand and help
balance the camera better.

There is nothing worse than having BOTH batteries in your grip die at
one and not have a spare. I prefer to always have one battery die at a
time.

AG Schnozz