Re: [OM] Battery life in micro 4/3 camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery life in micro 4/3 camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:30:52 -0400
I read the Australian postal regs and they seem not terribly different from the US Postal regs. In the US one can ship small quantities (up to 3) of secondary lithium batteries (rechargeables such as in our cameras) in domestic mail but not international.

This seems to ignore that lithium battery shipments are arriving from China via mail every day. I guess I violated the law when I shipped you the E-M5 with battery. Airlines typically allow lithium batteries as long as they are installed in the equipment. The digital world would end if that wasn't possible. I suspect that I left the battery installed when I shipped the E-M5 but don't recall. I don't see that as any different than flying with your camera bag with battery installed.

I suspect that Chinese ebay sellers are selling and shipping hundreds of lithium batteries to NZ every day. Given the very slow delivery I suspect that crossing the big pond is done by ship. A small lithium battery fire would not be as threatening on a ship as on an airplane.

I was having some difficulty finding the NZ regs but eventually did so and they are here: <https://www.nzpost.co.nz/personal/sending-within-nz/prohibited-restricted-items#restricted-items>

If you read only the "prohibited" items list it would appear that NZ post will not handle any lithium-ion battery. But if you go further down to the "restricted" list you will see that sending two (properly packaged) lithium-ion batteries is allowed.

Chuck Norcutt