[OM] Advise sought on flash for E-3 and maybe M5

Subject: [OM] Advise sought on flash for E-3 and maybe M5
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:39:58 +1200

Hi all,

I have been approached by a representative of a group of
fern plant enthusiasts based around San Diego, Calif; to guide them
around special ferny places in New Zealand. I've agreed and have started
planning - on the basis of very little input from them so far.

I'm
likely to take them to some special places I have not been to in decades
and to have the opportunity to see and photograph species of plane I
haven't seen since then.

Some places/plants should be photographed
using flash. Photos of many of these plants in good books I have seen
(there are only few) have used on-camera flash yielding the usual
ghastly shots one can expect.

I'd like to do better. My old friend and
mentor (long deceased now) published photos of how he photographed small
orchids with a Pen half-frame. See below and two to the right.

Can I please have
advice for off-camera flash and if available radio trigger devices I
could use for similar work. I lost all my OM flash units in our house
fire.

Larger fern plants in shady places will need a modified version
of John's technique.

Cheers,

Brian Swale