[OM] Totally OT : mechanical watches

Subject: [OM] Totally OT : mechanical watches
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 21:38:16 -0300
Is there any truth or merit in the urban myth that some people are just not compatible with mechanical watches?

I bought my wife a lady's Omega Constellation Automatic Chronometer Officially Certified" stainless steel timepiece in the early 1970s in Hong Kong. It is not fake or replica, was purchased new from an official Omega outlet and came with its official papers out of the box.

The watch has been rarely worn because from the get-go it stopped, lost time, gained time, and went fast and slow before stopping. It has not been dropped, injured, abused or exposed to magnetization and has been serviced several times over the years.

When I wear the watch it works perfectly. I have the man's version of the same watch, bought at the same time, and their time keeping is virtually identical.

My wife's mother had the same problem with mechanical watches. When digital watches appeared my wife invested in cheap $10 versions and they have all worked fine.

Any opinions ?

jh