Re: [OM] DAMN!

Subject: Re: [OM] DAMN!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 16:20:39 -0700
On 8/6/2016 3:39 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Well, it finally happened.  Three weeks ago there was a power glitch here
when shutting down the one laptop, and the result was that the directory of my
external hard drive

"Drive" should have been plural.

With all the time, angst and effort you spend protecting yourself against largely imagined external threats . . . With all the words posted here about back-up strategies . . .

  ... so before I go to the final step and format the drive I'd like to hear

What, one foot left uninjured? Why, in the name of all that's digital, would
you reformat?

First, you are working with an unproven assumption, that it isn't the drive that had the corrupting hiccup. If it was, you are setting yourself up for another opportunity to use this subject line.

Second, who knows when someone will come up with, or you will discover, the recovery program you need? Then, having reformatted this drive, you will have another opportunity to use this subject line.

Rational strategy is to keep and label the existing drive, then buy two new,
identical drives, one for use, one for back-up.

You should have back-up drives for each active drive. For image, text, spreadsheet files, etc. file by file back-up is good. For OS disks, cloning software is the answer. Macirum Reflect Free is excellent for creating B-U clone disks.

I wish you luck with a full recovery.

Shakespeare Moose