Re: [OM] FS: Olympus OM4Ti Black (New In Box)

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: Olympus OM4Ti Black (New In Box)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 08:54:03 -0500
> You may well be right, but I am not sure that an OM4Ti has the same cachet
> as a Leica, and hence not the same value to a collector.

No. However, it will have more value as an unused camera than as a
used camera. At this point, with as many used OM4Ti cameras as are
available to statisfy anybody's needs of film photography, this one
spaceman would be best kept NIB.

> With the next global financial catastrophe already on the horizon, it raises
> the question of what constitutes a "store of value".  Is a NIB OM4Ti a store
> of value?  Is a Leica?

In the world of collectibles, it really depends more on the rate of
price increase and not just the price increase. When the prices spike
on something, it's best to sell on the spike and get out while the
getting is good. But if the prices steadily increase at a relatively
stable rate (with stairsteps being acceptable), holding on long-term
makes sense. Financial crisis come and go, but collecting remains.

AG Schnozz