Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 10:10:31 -0500
> While there are specific distributions of Linux that are optimized for
> specific purposes, none of those you mention, Ken, are that type, and I'm
> disinclined to believe that there are significant measurable differences if
> one benchmarks them.

I'm just thinking of the one variant of Ubuntu that has some
alterations to the kernal that helps with the real-time functionality
of multi-track digital editors.

> Regarding photo editing, as with other "major" applications that one might
> use to decide which OS, I'd take an opposite view to yours. Choice of
> application tends to severely limit one's choice of OS.

Very true. But I take the approach that the OS is what supports the
application. I remember a number of years ago when NPR got the
hair-brained idea to buy Mac computers for their audio storage and
retrieval system and then discovered that the only systems out there
ran on Windows and Linux. I sold the right solution to them TWICE!
Once when the other vendor couldn't deliver and they subcontracted
with my company, and the second time when I was able to design the
correct solution to their needs.

> One of the nice features of Linux' excellent support for VMs is precisely
> the ability to spin up any other OS on demand, just to be able to play
> around and figure if one might be missing out on a much better app that
> better suits one's needs. Once a VM is spun up and a base snapshot created,
> you can try apps and other sorts of madness all you like. Screwed up the
> install? Revert to base snapshot in mere moments. Hate the applications?
> Revert to base snapshot with no registry cruft. OS is no better? Nuke the
> VM and you've got all your disk space back with no gymnastics required.
> Better app/OS combination for the task? Keep the VM and app and have both
> the VM and the base Linux OS, with no reboots required.

I will have to learn more about this. This has peaked my curiosity.
It's been a few years since I was deep into operating systems--I've
been buried in Layer 1 and 2 networks for a while now. I've traveled a
long way down this roadm.

AG Schnozz