Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 10:38:19 -0500
"Check Your Premise"

I'm at a loss as to why a person would select the OS first and then
try to stuff the application into it. That's like a person who buys a
sports car and then tries to stuff a family of eight into it.

I would recommend selecting the applications first and then build the
system, including the operating system that supports those
applications.

For example, I have a couple of Linux machines operating here at the
house. One is running ZoneMinder for the security system. Not just any
form of Linux, though. It's running Debian. While programs like
ZoneMinder will work on Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux, it either
doesn't have an installer package, or there are custom settings
required to get it to work correctly. I have another system running
Ubuntu for the same reason. The apps on it don't install easily or run
efficiently on Debian. Even among those specific brands of Linux,
there are specific builds that fine-tune for the class of computer or
class of application. LAMP is best served with one flavor of Ubuntu,
multi-media with another.

If your photo editing axe of choice says "Adobe" on the splash screen,
you better be running Windows or Mac OS natively. If you want to do
XYZ things that require Linux, then either have a second machine
running Linux, or set the computer up as dual-boot or whatever.
Personally, I recommend multiple machines. Just because you CAN have
both on one machine doesn't mean you should.

AG Schnozz