Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 10:07:50 -0400
Sounds good to me.  I may follow your example eventually.

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/29/2016 5:12 PM, Moose wrote:
On 7/29/2016 1:29 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I can see that it will take quite a bit of effort to sort out the CPU,
motherboard and memory thing but it appears that the top end i7 is
about $100 more than the top end i5 (neither of which has a fan or
heatsink... apparently to satisfy overclocking users who want their
own custom cooling solution).

What I did was to narrow the field down, first by selecting a CPU. I
knew I wanted multi-core,with built-in GPU that worked with PS, which
put me in certain i7 options. I couldn't see any point in a separate
video board, as the current Intel built-in GPUs are very capable for PS.
Fairly easy then, looking at Intel's prices; they go up in sensible-ish
steps, then skyrocket for the latest, hottest. I selected the one at the
top of the sensible range. Then desired memory configuration cuts the
herd down further. I wanted to start with 16 GB, expandable to 32 by
just adding a couple of memory cards.

Then there's I/O. I was surprised how relatively few of the sea of MBs
had the number/type of internal SATA connectors, external eSATA and USB
and other I/O connectors I wanted. May have just been a point in time
thing.

I then looked at details and reviews of the less expensive 2-3 that met
my requirements from what appeared to be 'name' brands. I have been very
pleased with the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 board I selected. Excellent
installation/users manual, FAR, FAR better and more useful than anything
I ever got with a built machine and nice, flexible BIOS set-up.

Build It Moose