Re: [OM] PESO: food shopping in France

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO: food shopping in France
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 20:40:31 -0300

On 7/31/2016 7:51 PM, Moose wrote:
On 7/31/2016 1:18 PM, John Hudson wrote:
I wonder if those bag rules are in any way associated with California
being the most business unfriendly state in the nation :-)

I assume from the smiley that you are either kidding or would be
unwilling to offer documentary support.

Just a sample. There is a boatload of other pieces.

http://chiefexecutive.net/california-is-the-worst-state-for-business-2014/

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20141030/californias-business-unfriendly-tax-climate

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/business/for-a-business-unfriendly-state-california-offers-lots-of-subsidies/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-most-business-unfriendly-taxes-rules-or-regulations-in-California

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20160719/california-ranked-as-least-business-friendly-state-blows-past-all-others-in-job-creation

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2013/03/31/the-most-and-least-business-friendly-states/#6ad3bb6277b6

I guess the great jobs' growth in CA might be attributed to the mass influx of illegals from central America willing to work for 30 cents an hours tilling the farmers' fields and working watering hoses.

Back in the early 1990s my wife and I were given the third degree of aggravation crossing the state line out of Oregon to NorCal en-route to Crescent City with a couple of oranges in our lunch box. About the same degree of agro I reckon of police / citizen interaction as your constables shooting up innocents at traffic stops and "Black Lives Matter" protests except that their side arms were out of ammunition! Not a welcoming experience.

We are heading to the Oregon coast next month for a few weeks. We will be going with Canadian flags for the dashboard and "Don't shoot, officer; we are white Canadians with short hair" for window stickers; no kidding you!

1. The primary driving force behind the bag laws is environmental
pressure from the electorate.

Entirely profit motivated driven by lobbyists for big grocery !

2. It a profitable change for at least the supermarket and drug store
businesses. In the last years before I retired, one of our most powerful
SVPs was on a tear about bag costs. She thought they were really hurting
our profitability. Now, not only do 'we' make a profit on every paper
bag the leaves the store, but sell reusable bags with a much greater
gross profit margin than most of the items in the store, hanging right
there on a rack where the bagging happens. "Would you like a couple of
paper bags for 20¢, or a reusable bag for $2.49, sir or ma'am?

See ............ profit motivated !

3. The 2015 GDP of Calif. was 33% greater than Texas and 41% greater
than NY, both up from 2014. If a separate country, roughly tied with to
France for 6th largest in the world and 37% larger than Canada. Must be
a terrible place to do business. :-)

Alabama is a better rated state for business. Canada has no desire to be associated with California except for its import of table wines which are not at all bad but not quite up to those from British Columbia :-)

A few states have higher per capita GDPs, but the top three are all
states with tiny populations and large incomes from natural resources.
The other few have higher to much higher estimated overall individual
tax burdens. So Calif. has both the most people, and they have the most
to spend, not a bad formula for a place to do business.

I think that Australia and Singapore out rank CA for GDP per capita as does Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino ........... Singapore is a bit sparse on natural resources.

Ex Economist Moose

You need to get up to date ........... there are special introductory offers for subscribers to the planet's premier current affairs / business orientated / economics / commerce newspaper. Comes weekly to your mailbox ! www.economist.com . Can recommend. Have been a print subscriber for 54 years.