Re: [OM] PESO: food shopping in France

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO: food shopping in France
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 15:51:26 -0700
On 7/31/2016 1:18 PM, John Hudson wrote:
I wonder if those bag rules are in any way associated with California being the most business unfriendly state in the nation :-)

I assume from the smiley that you are either kidding or would be unwilling to
offer documentary support.

1. The primary driving force behind the bag laws is environmental pressure from
the electorate.

2. It a profitable change for at least the supermarket and drug store businesses. In the last years before I retired, one of our most powerful SVPs was on a tear about bag costs. She thought they were really hurting our profitability. Now, not only do 'we' make a profit on every paper bag the leaves the store, but sell reusable bags with a much greater gross profit margin than most of the items in the store, hanging right there on a rack where the bagging happens. "Would you like a couple of paper bags for 20¢, or a reusable bag for $2.49, sir or ma'am?

3. The 2015 GDP of Calif. was 33% greater than Texas and 41% greater than NY, both up from 2014. If a separate country, roughly tied with to France for 6th largest in the world and 37% larger than Canada. Must be a terrible place to do business. :-)

A few states have higher per capita GDPs, but the top three are all states with tiny populations and large incomes from natural resources. The other few have higher to much higher estimated overall individual tax burdens. So Calif. has both the most people, and they have the most to spend, not a bad formula for a place to do business.

Ex Economist Moose