Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:25:35 -0700
On 7/29/2016 6:58 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

. . .
When this machine does croak I will build a new one myself which is (like you)
what I used to do years ago.

I don't understand. Compared to a single core, four cores gave:
[much (usable?) goodness]

This is the CPU I run today... an AMD A8-5500... a 4 core processor running at 3.2 GHz. <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113288> Its single thread performance is about 1/2 that of the fastest Intel i7 and its multi-thread performance is not much better than 1/4 of the Intel. On the other hand, those adjustments I make in ACR or single image adjustments I make in PS (levels, brightness/contrast, etc.) seem nearly instantaneous. So, how fast is 3 or 4 times instantaneous? It's a non-interesting number. But building a 10 image panorama is a horse of a different color. I don't know what a significantly faster CPU might do for me there. But neither do I build 10 image panos every day.

These days, I'm stacking, aligning and merging focus stacks of 12 or more files fairly regularly. When I've been on a trip, I often have several multi image panoramas to merge.

My work flow may be unnecessarily complex for most folks. In any case, I often end up downsampling multi layer images, adding FM, often masked, as needed to compensate for loss of detail to sampling, etc., then saving as JPEGs. I used Genuine Fractals (now more bloated and less useful as Perfect Resize for 64 bit), based on better results than the then PS downsampling. Recently frustrated with PR failings, I tried the PS function again. It seems much improved in results - now at least as good as PR - AND, it's much faster than PR, "nearly instantaneous", as you put it, with only a handful of layers. I imagine this improvement in speed and results may be a result of recoding for multi-threading.(?)

The price difference between middle of the road and just short of bleeding edge performance is so slight that I can't see the point of scrimping. I spend so much time at the computer working with images that making it slower in any way makes no sense to me. A faster machine also ages better, as hardware gets faster and image/video applications more demanding.

Speedy D'Opinion