Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 13:54:08 -0700
On 7/28/2016 4:49 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I've pretty much decided that Win 10 is not for me but whatever replaces my Win 7 must run Photoshop.

Why the worry/rush? Many huge companies have only recently moved to Win7. It's going to be supported for a long time. I'll be following my usual policy, upgrading OS when it comes installed on a new machine (or I install fresh on a machine I've put together). As I need the XP virtual machine of Win7 Pro for business, I won't convert my desktop, and I can't see what advantage 'upgrading' my 6+ year old netbook+ would have.

I dipped my toe into the Apple universe last December with an iPhone 6s.

We have two iPhones and two iPads. I'm not sure what that has to do with choice of computer and OS to run PS. Mac and iThingies, iOS and MacOS are essentially only related by parent company.

That has caused me to at least consider a Mac Mini but the price is very high for a fixed configuration which dates to 2014. I don't know but suspect that much of Photoshop would not utilize the multi-threading capabilities of an Intel i7.

There's a lot of info/blather about that around. This test uses a pretty good looking testing procedure to show that, while many PS functions are indeed single threaded, many of the most processor intensive ones are multi-threaded and increase 3-4 times in speed, occasionally more, with the first few cores. <https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/>

Several of the functions that are sped up a lot are ones I use a great deal. I've also been quite impressed at the speed with which my machine can convert/load a dozen Raw files in a stack and align them, then merge them. That's a LOT of calculations. No, it's not instant, but not that slow, either, considering what it is doing. My recollection of stacking and creating panoramas on older PS and a slower, single threaded machine is of a great deal more work on my part and lots and lots more processing time.

I'm running the (next?) prior version of the processor he recommends; Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Quad Core (8 threads), (apparently still a current model) with 16 GB of RAM.

This makes sense if one assumes that Adobe is not entirely brain dead. Just as in the old days developers would identify the parts of an app that had the greatest negative effect on overall performance and code them in assembler, it appears Adobe may have targeted similarly in choosing which functions to expand to multi-threading.

I gather that converting a process to multi-threading is not a simple thing like changing a compiler option, but requires at the least lots of recoding, and often starting from scratch.

So, in selecting a processor, I would try to maximize single thread performance which means clock speeds of 3GHz or more. But the only way to get that clock speed in a Mac Mini it to buy the i7 version at $1300.

That leaves a custom built machine running Linux with Wine or maybe a virtual
Win 7 to run Photoshop.

I still don't understand the rush to leave Win7. It's current, stable and runs
PSCC well.

Anyone have experience with this and a recommendation?  Am I wrong about the
degree of multi-threading in Photoshop?

Mostly, yes, you are wrong, perhaps not on number of m-t processes, but on
their significance to practical use.

Hetero Tasking Moose