Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/Photoshop question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:58:09 -0400

On 7/29/2016 12:46 AM, Moose wrote:
Win7 is still being sold. Time to upgrade to a fast new Win7 machine
now? Buy a full Win7 package and hold on to it? It is still, BTW, pretty
easy to build one's own machine,and save a lot of $.  I would do it again
without any qualms; probably will.

I converted 2 of my old XP machines to Win7. They're performing well for their purpose so I'm used to buying and installing Win7 packages. But you have raised a good point. Win7 is still readily available now but it might not be in a year or two or three when this old HP desktop decides to croak. I should perhaps buy one soon whether it's the sole OS on a new machine or running as virtual under Linux.

When this machine does croak I will build a new one myself which is (like you) what I used to do years ago.

I don't understand. Compared to a single core, four cores gave:
[much (usable?) goodness]

This is the CPU I run today... an AMD A8-5500... a 4 core processor running at 3.2 GHz. <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113288> Its single thread performance is about 1/2 that of the fastest Intel i7 and its multi-thread performance is not much better than 1/4 of the Intel. On the other hand, those adjustments I make in ACR or single image adjustments I make in PS (levels, brightness/contrast, etc.) seem nearly instantaneous. So, how fast is 3 or 4 times instantaneous? It's a non-interesting number. But building a 10 image panorama is a horse of a different color. I don't know what a significantly faster CPU might do for me there. But neither do I build 10 image panos every day.

I thought your Linux tests frustrated you. Adding a Win virtual machine is going
to be easier? Better than Win10, whatever its flaws?

Linux only frustrated me because I couldn't get any distro to print to either of my Windows networked printers as installed "out of the box". I needed to know how to find and install drivers (and maybe interface with the Windows network) which was too much to ask for a quick test of something. If I decided that I was going to run Linux then I would be willing to invest learning that and much more.

Oops! I just realized I've been very slow to realize a further complication which may ultimately control all. My wife is very unlikely to accept running Linux. That means Windows has to persist in some manner. Ooops again! Win 10 with all 20 "steal your personal data" settings turned off???

Chuck Norcutt