Re: [OM] CAT: What about me?

Subject: Re: [OM] CAT: What about me?
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:31:15 -0500
My Subaru uses the viscous coupling. And actually, the current one uses not
only ABS but also traction control which has rarely kicked in.

Subaru has the AWD thing down to a science. Every model, except for the
oddball BRZ (it's really a Toyobaru), has full-time AWD. Plus the boxer
engine that sits nice and low and on the center line of the car.

The BRZ is the 2-seater sport thing. Because it's so low, the engine had to
sit really low in the front compartment and there was no room for a front
transaxle/transfer case. So, it's traditional RWD.  After driving a Subaru
since 2000 (aside from a short time in 2013 after I sold my 2.5RS and
before I picked up the Soccer Mom Impreza), I wouldn't drive anything else.
I just love the way they handle/perform.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Ahem.  I don’t think that modern vehicles need a diff lock.  I’m fairly
> certain that they do that sort of thing entirely automatically.
>
> Yes, through torque routing. Some manufacturers are able to do this
> mechanically (Audi) some through applying brakes (most), some through
> viscous couplings, and some through all of the above.
>

> > I’d be very disappointed if my 4WD Beemer spun a wheel in the mud.  I
> think that I’ve just challenged myself to check :-)
>
> The xDrive design that BMW uses has gone through several variations
> and is remarkably good. However, the problem is that it's not designed
> for extensive periods of time with the traction control active. The
> BMW will put nearly all the power to one wheel if it needs to, but not
> for long before the computer kicks in and detects that something is
> amiss and it self-protects the drive-line.
>
> My X5 does this and it really is excellent, I've had two wheels in the
> air a number of times off roading (going across a diagonal ridge which
> lifts opposite corners off the ground), and it just goes. The Jeep
> would definitely hesitate a bit in that situation, but the suspension
> wasn't so stiff so it almost always kept three or four wheels
> touching.
>
> AG
> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO