Re: [OM] CAT: What about me?

Subject: Re: [OM] CAT: What about me?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:07:17 -0500
> Ahem.  I don’t think that modern vehicles need a diff lock.  I’m fairly
> certain that they do that sort of thing entirely automatically.

Yes, through torque routing. Some manufacturers are able to do this
mechanically (Audi) some through applying brakes (most), some through
viscous couplings, and some through all of the above.

> I’d be very disappointed if my 4WD Beemer spun a wheel in the mud.  I think
> that I’ve just challenged myself to check :-)

The xDrive design that BMW uses has gone through several variations
and is remarkably good. However, the problem is that it's not designed
for extensive periods of time with the traction control active. The
BMW will put nearly all the power to one wheel if it needs to, but not
for long before the computer kicks in and detects that something is
amiss and it self-protects the drive-line.

My X5 does this and it really is excellent, I've had two wheels in the
air a number of times off roading (going across a diagonal ridge which
lifts opposite corners off the ground), and it just goes. The Jeep
would definitely hesitate a bit in that situation, but the suspension
wasn't so stiff so it almost always kept three or four wheels
touching.

AG